Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Gratitude


Growing up we had a tradition of bearing our testimonies to each other after church on Fast Sunday. We would all gather together and say a prayer and then one by one would get up and bear our testimonies. I remember as a child thinking that this tradition was never-ending, especially with an empty stomach, but now I am so grateful for those precious moments where the spirit could really dwell with us all. I am sure that my parents were hoping that this tradition would help us feel comfortable bearing our testimonies anywhere and at anytime, but for some reason I never can get up the nerve to stand up in Church and tell everyone what I am grateful for. Because we just had fast Sunday I decided that I would list a few things that I am grateful for.
Today is such a beautiful day. I love the spring. It is so nice to see new life all around me. A few years ago I had a miscarriage and was having a hard time dealing with it. David gave me a blessing and in it he said to notice signs of new life around me and to be grateful for them. I have had a new appreciation for life ever since. It is incredible that God has made a world that is constantly changing from new blossoms on the trees to new baby squirrels climbing in the trees.
I am grateful for my family. Yesterday I had 2 experiences that helped me to remember this fact. While I was at work yesterday my brother Ephraim came to my floor to do an assessment on a patient. He is currently in medical school and had to do this to fulfill an assignment. I was surprised at how excited I was to have him there. I introduced him to everyone around me and later a doctor, who I had introduced him to came up to me and told me that it was nice to see that I was so proud of my brother. I realized that I am. I am proud of all of my siblings and my parents. There is just something about having spent some of your hardest years with people who know you completely that bonds you to them and really helps you to love them. The second event was that when I got home I watched a movie, Miss Potter, which is about the life of Beatrix Potter the famous children's author. It is a touching movie and it reminded me about how incredibly blessed I am to have such a great husband and daughter.It seems that Heavenly Father is daily teaching me how wonderful his plan of salvation is.
I am grateful for Jesus Christ, who atoned for my sins and for the fullness of the gospel that has made me feel joy and happiness that I never thought that I could feel. At work people are often asking me how it is that I am so happy. Growing up in Utah no one ever commented on my attitude, but coming here to Illinois it has surprised me how many people have noticed how happy I seem to be. There is just such a joy that comes with living the gospel and I am so grateful for that.
Anyway this post really was just for me and if you made it this far then I am grateful that you like me so much to read my ramblings :)

3 comments:

The Bergant Family said...

Amen to your thoughts. And I love too how spring brings a renewal of all of Heavenly Father's creations. I'm ready!!!!

SydneyMin said...

I loved this post. It is just from your beautiful little heart :) I'm so grateful for everything you mentioned and I'm loving Spring! When we were first engaged and married Tony would often comment about how happy and sunshiney I was all the time, and I hadn't ever thought about it. Living the Gospel makes even the simplest of things, like the coming of Spring, seem special and a blessing! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bethers :)

John-n-Mel said...

Thanks for sharing such personal & sweet thoughts and feelings with us. How great that you get to work with your brother! You're an amazing person Bethany and an inspiration!