
This morning Gigi and I took David to school and on the way home one of my favorite songs came on: Girls just wanna have fun by Cyndi Lauper. I turned it way up and started dancing. I encouraged Gigi to join in the fun and by the time we got home we were both totally pumped! I then took Gigi out of her carseat and placed her in the front seat where we continued to jam to music. It was quite fun.
This even reminded me about all of the music that I love. I realized that I will have a big impact on the types of music that she loves and I hope she won't hate me for this when she gets older :)
Here are some music confessions:
I LOVE CLASSIC ROCK!! David makes fun of me endlessly for this, but I can't help it. I think that my love started when I was a little girl. I have this vivid memory of lying in my bed at night and before drifting off to sleep hearing Ephraim come in with cd in hand (or perhaps it was a tape) telling me I had to listen to this particular song. He told me about this cool band called the doors, put in the music and hung out with me for a few minutes. I was hooked! Something about the beat and the odd way this man sung was intriguing, but what really got me was that my cool older brother liked this music and that he wanted to share it with me! Ever since that event I have loved classic rock!
I love old alternative bands. I am definitely not cool enough to stay up with the latest, greatest bands, but I love the bands from my junior high years. Weezer, Green day, etc... I remember hanging out with some friends up the street listening to Weezer tell me about unraveling my sweater while watching my friends skate on their boards and thinking...wow this is life! I still love this music, however I really can't say that I love all alternative music since I have no clue what this really means anymore.
I love oldies! Oldies anything really. As Candy can attest, I can sing pretty much any oldies song that comes on the radio at any time. The beetles tops the list, but anything that reminds me of "the good old days" (even though I really have no clue what these days were like and if they were good) makes me happy :) I have so many memories of this music it is hard to keep track. 2 that top the list are 1. Working in the garage with my dad, not really helping, but just wanting to be by him while we listened to a very fuzzy version of an oldies station on his extemely old radio that didn't get reception and 2. driving in the car with Candy, not really going anywhere, but just driving and singing :)
I love broadway musicals! One song from a great musical cheers me up when I am really sad. Something about the powerful lyrics and music gets to me. My all time favorite musical is Les Miserables, but I love any clean musical. I have memories of cooking in the kitchen with Alex and Candy on Sunday nights making cookies or something yummy and listening to this music.
I have also come to love country music. This love has taken a long time. In fact growing up I prided myself on the fact that I hated this music, but now I do love it. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I married a Texan and that he loves country music, but now I am hooked! On our honeymoon we went to San Antonio Texas and then drove to Dallas for another reception and all the way there we listened to this music. The lyrics are totally cheesy and the music is often twangy, but it is fun and very addictive!
My last love is classical music. I would have to say this type of music is my real passion. When I go to a great concert or when I play a piece of great music I feel as if my soul is communicating with God. It is a very bizarre feeling, but it is the only other language that I can speak besides english and I adore it!
One great new song that I really like is called New Soul by Yael Naim.
7 comments:
WOw! It sounds like you've got them all covered. Isn't it great to be so cultured!
Yep. This is definitely a TRUE confession since I have observed all of these things in you - especially knowing every lyric to weird oldies that no one has ever heard! If Gigi ends up so well-rounded musically because of you I'm sure she will be a happy girl!
"Road House Blues" by The Doors. Awesome song!
Um, what station are you listening to that is playing "Girls Just want to have fun"? But then upon further reading your music choices I now understand. :) Good Job David for showing you the light on COuntry music, but diversity is a good thing, especially when it comes to music!
I love music too! I used to hate country as well. Then I met steven and that all changed. Now i'm so hooked! ha ha thanks for sharing your music interests. Love ya
I could totally imagine you and gigi rockin it out in your car! How funny! As of late, Aedan and I have been doing some aerobics to disco music and I'm tellin you it has been a hoot! The rhythms are just right for exercising and the beat never fails to get him moving! I'm glad to hear she is getting plenty of culture even at such a young age :)
I just found your blog. I am so glad you are keeping one so I can read about your many adventures. Yeah. Check out our blog at www.robisonmonkeys.blogspot.com
I am sure Gigi had tons of fun rocking out with you. She is so cute I can see her just lovign it.
Post a Comment