Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A tribute to Candy


Just about all that I am I owe to my wonderful sister Candy.
Ever since I was born she has been much more than a sister to me. We are 12 years apart and are the only girls in our family so we have always been close.
When I was a little girl she would let me snuggle in bed with her. We would go on shopping trips together and she would always buy me ice-cream cones when we would go to the grocery store.
My mom went back to school when I was really little and so Candy became a mother figure for me. She would get me ready for school and drive me there. She would protect me from my brothers. She would listen to my kid issues and never act like they didn't matter. She always helped me to feel loved.
When I got a bit older she left to go on a mission. I missed her so much that I remember coming home from school, taking a picture of her and crawling into bed crying because I felt so alone. When she returned I remember writing a little song for her.
When she was in college she would bring guys home and still loved me after I would embarrass her to no end.
She instilled a love for Italy in me, which would later lead to me finding David.
In high school she would help me with my papers, all of which would win me an A.

She has never been too busy for me. She always takes time to listen to me and to show me love.
She is even goofy like me and subsequently doesn't laugh too much when I dance funny or make another lamo joke.

She is my best friend and I wouldn't be who I am without her.
She is beautiful, talented, clever, spiritual, patient, a genius, loving, caring....aren't I lucky to have her as my one and only sister?


She is so good to my daughter. In fact right after she was born she helped me get some precious hours of sleep by staying up with Gigi all night so that David and I could sleep.
She does all that she does with a smile and never has a negative word to say.
Now it is obvious why I am jumping up and down with excitement about moving close to her, my one and only sister.
Candy I LOVE YOU!!!!!

5 comments:

SydneyMin said...

Bethany!! Thank you for the fun, sweet, thoughtful post! I have loved doing ALL of those things with you for the last 25 years :) What a blessing you were to me at 12 years old. I waited SO long for a sister - simply to find out that God had saved the best for last :) I love you and can't wait to increase the love factor in this city of brotherly love. We'll change it to SISTERLY love, baby! Yeah!

Clint and Elle said...

You are so sweet to write all those wonderful things about your sister. Can I adopt her into the family?

The Bergant Family said...

I thought this was such a wonderful blog!!! You and Candy will have the best time together in Phili and I am so glad it worked out that way for both of you. I have enjoyed knowing her over the past two years or so and I think she is fabulous!

Jackie said...

Everybody loves Candi! You are going to have so much fun when you move out there! I love that picture of her with Gigi - so cute!

Shawni said...

I agree, she's one awesome girl. I'm so glad I got to meet her on my mission! She is one of the sweetest people I know.