Saturday, September 25, 2010

Baltimore October 16, 2010

In May or June my friend announced that she would be running the baltimore marathon. She encouraged me to run it with her. No way! I ran a marathon about 7 years ago and it was HARD! People correlate running a marathon with having a baby. It is hard, but all you remember is how great it feels afterward. I disagree. All I remembered about my last marathon was the gigantic mirage of people running uphill with no end in sight. Well I thouht long and hard about the marathon. I realized that now really would be the best time to train. I was in Utah for 3 weeks so I could get a lot of good runs in and then I knew David would have the entire month of August off so I could run hard, plus I would have someone training at the same time as me. I decided to do it! The most amazing thing happened. When I went for my first 10 mile run in a long time I felt great! I then remembered how great training for the marathon felt. True the marathon itself kind of sucks, but training is exhilerating and awesome! You can run for the fun of it for hours on end to cool places. Plus (and this is seriously a huge plus for me) I can eat whatever I want :) 2 weeks ago I ran a 21 miler with my friend and felt good, but unfortunetely I must have pushed myself a bit too much because I hurt my IT band. I looked online and it said that it takes months for it to heal, but I'll still doing the marathon even if I have to walk half of it! Wish me luck :) My friend Jenny that is running this with me is doing awesome! She had an original goal to break 4 hours, but right now is on her way to qualify for boston! Go Jenny!!! I am just hoping to finish :)
Oh and Rachel I have really missed training with you. I think of you often on my long runs!!
after a run the girls jumped on me while I was stretching, I guess they don't mind their sweaty mom:)

5 comments:

The Bergant Family said...

You are amazing!!!! I love that you have two kids and that you are doing this marathon and finding the energy and the desire and the time to train!!! We are cheering for you. And, I'll never be your running friend, but I totally love being your talking friend. :) Let's catch up soon!

Emily said...

Good luck with the training!

Lisa said...

Good luck with that!! You are amazing :)

Rachel said...

Yea!!! Bethany, you're running another marathon! I wish I could train with you again too! What great memories...I'm only running 2-5 miles at a time these days...maybe I should sign up for a race so I can have more motivation. I'm so proud of you, and to be doing it post 2 babies! You're amazing, girl!

Oh, and I felt so special that you mentioned me in your blog. I'm still waiting for you to come visit us and Ephraim's family here in St. Louis. We could go running then, but you'd have to wait up for me, 'cause I'm not in marathon shape! :)

John-n-Mel said...

You're inspiring!!! Um did you forget your brother in law is a PT? might have some suggestions for that IT band. That's a painful injury had it when I met John. Good lUck!