Last year I really wanted to get Gigi started on the violin. I searched and searched for a great teacher and finally found one....in Delaware. They wanted Gigi to go to weekly group and private lessons, which were on different days, which would mean we would be in the car for 6+ hours weekly. After much prayer we decided to not go this route.
I decided to teach her myself. For those of you who don't know my background I started taking violin lessons when I was 3. I always planned on going into violin performance or teaching, but when I graduated from high school I really felt like I needed to go into nursing. Anyway long story, but the gist is that I can play the violin, but don't feel at all qualified to teach it. Because I had no luck with teachers around here I felt like I could at least get Gigi started until we move next year. Our friends loaned us a violin for Gigi back in April and we slowly started. I met up with my old violin teacher in Utah and she gave me advice and tips to help Gigi. She also said that the violin I had was too big for her. So we bought a 1/10th size violin and since July have been practicing about 5 times a week. Gigi has finally learned her first song! It is still a work in progress, but she is doing great! It is amazing to think of all the little things that have to work together to get a nice sound out.
In other violin news I have started teaching other students. Last year a friend asked me to teach her daughter and after much hesitation I started working with her. Through word of mouth I am now up to 7 students, possibly 8 soon. I am LOVING it!!! I have felt such regret these last 10 or so years at not being able to play my violin and now I feel like I am able to dive back into music and to help others learn to love music too. I am starting to feel more confident in my teaching abilities. I am even thinking about persuing this after we leave here. I might certify to become a suzuki teacher and actually advertise for students. We'll see, but at least right not it has been the perfect thing for me and our family.
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
You are amazing Bethany! Can't believe your teaching! Wish you lived closer so I could send McKenna. Tell Gigi she is wonderful and to keep up the good work! Both of you! Congratulations!
Wow! Well I didn't know you played the violin but it's so nice that you can teach Gigi. She is going to be great as she keeps practicing. I think she already does a great job and she's a lot better than if I were to start playing ;)
Congrats on having so many students and being able to do something you are passionate about and share with others and your family.
Great job, Gigi! You sounded so good. I'm very impressed.
I think teaching violin could be an awesome job for you, Bethany!
That was very cute! Gigi is doing great. Thanks for sharing your musical background. I remember being so shocked and brought nearly to tears when I heard you perform at a Christmas concert one year. You're very skilled and Gigi (and others) have much to learn from you.
Great sound Gigi!
It reminds me of your mother years ago. You have good posture and will grow to love playing for yourself and others. Keep up the good work Gigi and Bethany!
Love,
Grandpa Parent
Wonderful! Dad is right - Gigi does remind me of Bethany playing when she was little. So cute! Gigi is going to astound us all in oh so many ways as she gets older!
Post a Comment